Umbra and Gensler Introduce Two Hotel Bathroom Accessory Collections
NEW YORK, NY – FEBRUARY 05, 2018 — Umbra, the leader in modern home design, collaborated with Gensler, the global architecture and design firm, to develop bathroom accessories that create a better experience for today’s traveler. In their first-ever collaboration, Gensler and Umbra harnessed their collective industry and market expertise to develop JUNIP and SCILLAE, two intelligent bathroom accessory collections now available for the hospitality and consumer markets.
Merging tradition with innovation, and inspired by the craft of wellness and the origins of the apothecary, each of the two collections offers flexible, space-saving, and technology-friendly solutions for the hotel and home.
“In our work with the world’s leading hospitality brands, we consider every touchpoint when creating an exceptional guest experience. As a result, we identified a void in the market for bath accessories that were both beautiful and functional,” said Carlos Martinez, a Firmwide Consumer Goods Practice Area Leader at Gensler. ‘’Each collection is designed for the hotel, but distinct enough that travelers will want it in their home too.’’
“We are constantly developing new collaborations,” said Matt Carr, Vice President of Design at Umbra. “The relationship with Gensler provided a very unique opportunity to work with a like-minded global design leader in a parallel industry. Gensler provided great insights and product solutions related to the evolving landscape of hotel design. We are proud of the two collections and look forward to future projects that provide both companies growth.”
The JUNIP collection defines luxury in its form and materiality. Designed to solve everyday problems in the hotel environment, JUNIP offers unexpected benefits for end-users and hotel staff alike.
- The 9-piece collection consists of: waste can, tissue box, amenity tray, amenity container, soap dish, soap dispenser, tumbler, toothbrush holder, and, in a nod to technology dependence, a mobile phone holder.
- The container shapes are more diverse in style — carefully coordinated as a collection rather than rigorously matched — to convey a relaxed yet undeniably refined look.
- The waste can opening is capped to hide unsightly trash bag edges, and the tissue holder is footed to prevent tissue boxes from becoming waterlogged on wet vanities.
- To complement virtually any bath decor, pieces are crafted in color-integrated white resin and accented with polished chrome trim.
The SCILLAE collection was developed to bring uniquely designed, space-saving solutions to the hospitality market. When used with the wall mounted bar, the components can be elevated to maximize vanity space — especially advantageous in smaller bathrooms.
- The 8-piece collection consists of: waste can, tissue box, amenity tray, amenity container, soap dish, soap dispenser, mobile phone holder, and wall-mounted bar.
- The containers are more uniform in style to maximize their space efficiency. When positioned on the bar, the accessories and hotel amenities appear to be sitting on a shelf, like apothecary bottles.
- SCILLAE is molded in color-integrated melamine which is ultra durable and easy to clean.
Both collections will be on display at NY NOW at the Javits Center on February 4-7 (Booth 3716). For more information on the Umbra/Gensler collaboration, visit umbra.com and follow @umbra_ltd on Instagram or gensler.com and @gensler_design on Instagram.
Founded in 1979 in Toronto, Canada, Umbra is a design company recognized for bringing intelligent houseware products to customers around the world. Originality is deeply rooted within the company’s foundation. Umbra began when graphic designer and co-founder Paul Rowan needed a window shade in his apartment. Unable to find one that fit his taste and price point, he created his own. Paul then teamed up with childhood friend, Les Mandelbaum, and together they began to reimagine everyday items into modern designs and Umbra was born. With its international team of designers, Umbra creates products that are original, modern, casual, functional and affordable. Today, Umbra is sold in over 120 countries.
Gensler is a global architecture, design and planning firm with 44 locations and more than 5,000 professionals networked across Asia, Europe, Australia, the Middle East, and the Americas. Founded in 1965, the firm serves more than 3,500 active clients in virtually every industry. Gensler designers strive to make the places people live, work and play more inspiring, more resilient, and more impactful.
SOURCE: Umbra & Gensler